I recently upgraded our Lync 2013 infrastructure to
Skype for Business 2015. Starting out I
thought this would be easy, right? It is
nothing more than just a big cumulative update for Lync 2013 server, just hit
next, next, finish, and you are done.
While the upgrade was fairly easy, there was a little more to it than
just hitting next a bunch of times. It
also took a lot longer than I had expected it to take. I spent around 8 hours updating 2 front end
servers, 2 edge servers, and 1 persistent chat server.
The first problem that I encountered was when I
downloaded the topology on a non-Lync 2013 machine and tried to upgrade the
topology to include Skype for Business 2015.
When I pushed out topology I started getting errors in the logs and none
of the Lync 2013 servers would update topology.
The errors in the event viewer showed that the databased version was
10.15, however the expected version was 10.13.
I did some searching and came across another blog
from someone having the same issue. It seems that when I upgraded the topology
on the non-Lync 2013 server, it put a flag in the Lync databases marking it as
version 15. To fix this, I needed to
change the flag back to version 13, replicate topology, and then I could change
it back to version 15 and leave it there.
Using SQL Management Studio on the SQL server hosting
the Lync databases, I opened the Xds database and then the dbo.DbConfigInt
table. I modified the DbVersionSproc
value from 15 to 13. On one of the Lync
2013 servers I then ran Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication to force
replication. I checked replication by
running Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus until all servers in the
topology showed that they were updated.
The next issue I encountered was that the SQL Express
installation on each server needed to be upgraded from 2008 to at least 2012
SP1. This required installing SQL
Express 2012 SP1, rebooting, updating the rtclocal database, rebooting,
updating the lynclocal database, and then rebooting a final time. To upgrade the rtclocal and lynclocal
databases I ran the below commands.
/INSTANCENAME=RTCLOCAL /QS /HIDECONSOLE /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms
/INSTANCENAME=LYNCLOCAL /QS /HIDECONSOLE /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms
Once I upgraded the
SQL Express version on each server, I ran the Skype for Business 2015 installer
on the first front end. During this part
of the process it checks for updates, pulls them down, and tries to install
them. The installer was trying to
download a hotfix labeled kb2858668 but was failing. Click here to see
Microsoft’s KB article and download the hotfix.
I manually installed the hotfix on the servers and then I was able to
successfully run the Skype for Business 2015 installer on each front end.